Not everyone loves avocados, for me it was a taste acquired over time…
Avocados are regarded as one of the most nutrient rich superfoods and are an excellent source of nearly 20 vitamins and minerals, such as potassium, folate, magnesium, vitamin B6, C, E, & K. They are also very low in sugar, high in soluble fibre and monounsaturated fat which is a good fat. 1/3-1/2 of an avocado a day is recommended and then just be mindful of what other fats you have had in your day. Did you know they are also called alligator pears and butter fruit and they are a type of berry?
Remember a healthy lifestyle, that include nutritious foods, can help prevent and reverse disease and avocados are considered healthy – just google it! Avocados as part of a healthy food intake and lifestyle may help prevent:
- Cancers due to the folate and nutrients
- Arthritis & osteoporosis with the oils extracts. Studies showed they can reduce osteoarthritis symptoms and the Vitamin K boosts bone health by slowing down bone loss.
- Depression – studies have shown a link between depression and low levels of folate and with avocados being high in folate studies have shown a positive link.
- Inflammation – Chronic inflammation is known to be a contributor to many diseases including Alzheimer’s, diabetes and arthritis and that vitamin E can lower inflammation.
- Digestion – avocados are high in insoluble fibre that helps move waste in your body and can prevent constipation.
- Blood Pressure – avocados, being rich in potassium, can help level out blood pressure by lowering sodium levels.
- Heart – the healthy fat in avocados is oleic acid, a monounsaturated fatty acid, that helps lower cardiovascular inflammation. They have a nutrient called beta-sitosterol that helps lower cholesterol levels.
- Vision – Well this was new to me, but two antioxidants in avocados are Lutein and zeaxanthin that are good for your eyes, to help protect the tissues in your eyes from UV light damage, cataracts, and macular degeneration.
- Pregnancy – Folate during pregnancy helps prevent birth defects and one avocado contains about 41% of the 400 micrograms a day that is recommended by health authorities.
If you have any question, please do not hesitate to contact us.