I have been asked many times why men are hesitant to exercise and/or go to a gym. As someone who owns a gym, and loves exercise and the benefits you get from it, sometimes I do not really have an answer for questions like – “Why is my husband opposed to exercise” “Why are men over the age 50 reluctant to exercise and or go to a gym? It is beyond my imagination why someone would not want to step into ALTA Fitness and embrace all that we have to offer!!
With Men’s Health and Wellbeing being such an important area of discussion in recent times, I thought I’d do a little digging and find out why men don’t take care of themselves and how we at ALTA can help change this.
Statistics have shown the following:
- 61% of Australian men do not engage in regular General Practitioner (GP) visits.
- Men that do visit a GP tend to keep their appointments short.
- Men account for most statistics that relate to diseases that are linked to lifestyle factors, such as diet, smoking, exercise, weight.
- Men who are under 75 are twice as likely to die from preventable AND treatable medical conditions.
- Three out of four suicides are male.
I did ask around and found that the top 5 answers
- “I am ok the way I am”
- “Too expensive”
- “I get enough exercise from walking”
- “It’s boring”
- “I am too old”
I also asked our clients at ALTA why they DO visit, and their top 5 answers were:
- I want to improve myself, physically, emotionally, and mentally.
- The trainers are great at understanding my needs and help me be the fittest and healthiest person I can be.
- Knowing that I will improve my life expectancy outweighs the costs.
- I love the sense of companionship I have with fellow patrons.
- It’s always fun to learn new things.
So next time you visit ALTA, let us know your thoughts and talk to us about how we can help you and the men in your life be fitter, healthier and happier
If you have any question, please do not hesitate to contact us.